Real Madrid captain Karim Benzema will miss his first game of the season on Saturday after being left out of the squad for the trip to Elche.
Benzema is being rested, according to Spanish media reports, after playing in every match so far this season.
The 33-year-old French striker has played 1,158 minutes out of a possible 1,170 so far this term, and has hit 11 goals in 13 games across all competitions so far.
Benzema also has eight assists to his name for Madrid in 2021-22, five more than any other player on the team has managed.
He heads the LaLiga scoring charts with nine goals in that competition from just 10 games, but coach Carlo Ancelotti appears convinced that the skipper could do with a break, and assured that Madrid can cope for a game withou…
Market: Sevilla win
Odds: 7/10 @
Turning their attention back to Champions League duties on Tuesday night, Sevilla will welcome Lille to the Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán.
Starting with the hosts, managing to pick up some perfect momentum over the weekend as they secured a deserved 2-0 win against Osasuna on home soil, Sevilla will be desperate to keep up that form. Hanging onto their spot in the top-two while on Champions League duties and facing what could be a crucial meeting on Tuesday night, the Spanish outfit should find the mood in their camp at a real high. Battling it out at the top of the La Liga table, Head Coach Julen Lopetegui finds his side enjoying a five-match unbeaten run across all formats. Likewise, suffering just a single defeat since open…
Dutch legend Marco van Basten has announced that he will not return to his former club Ajax in an executive role.
The 46-year-old had been engaged in talks with the Amsterdam-based club s advisory board that includes Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff, and had initially appeared optimistic of reaching an agreement over a football director s role.
However, van Basten has now revealed that discussions between the two parties have ended without any productive conclusion being attained.
I have spoken with Ajax and that in itself was interesting,” he told Sport1. But there were lots of ifs and buts and ultimately they were not easily resolved, so we said forget it.
Van Basten played for the Dutch giants between 1982 and 1987 and was the first team coach in 200…
The Korean FA Cup comes to a conclusion on Saturday as Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma host Suwon Bluewings for the trophy.
The matchup features two of South Korea s best teams; Seongnam won last year s AFC Champions League while Bluewings are looking for their third straight FA Cup to add to an already-impressive collection of silverware.
This Cup final will be a rematch of the 2009 decider, when Bluewings triumphed 4-2 on penalties after 120 minutes of play resulted in a 1-1 scoreline.
Seongnam coach Shin Tae-yong is relishing the opportunity for revenge.
(The team) is concentrating on winning this tournament, Shin said.
This time the final is at our home ground, and it will be our chance to take revenge.
Meanwhile, Bluewings have more than t…
Diego Simeone remained coy about the possibility of bringing Fernando Torres back to Spanish champions Atletico Madrid.
Torres was a huge fan favourite at the Vicente Calderon after coming through the club s youth ranks and made over 200 appearances for the first team between 2001 and 2007.
The Spain international then enjoyed a successful spell with Liverpool before moving to Chelsea in January 2011 for a then-British record £50million fee.
After struggling to reach top form during his near three-year stay at Stamford Bridge, Torres was shipped out on a two-season loan to Serie A giants Milan in the last transfer window.
However, the move to San Siro has failed to help him rediscover his goalscoring touch and he has just one goal in 10 Serie A appe…
Portuguese daily newspaper that Newcastle United winger Andros Townsend is on the verge of joining Sporting CP.
The Lions reportedly decided to match the player’s £8 million release clause and they are soon expected to complete the deal.
According to the latest reports, Townsend has left the England squad to fly to Lisbon as he is set to pen a contract with the Primeira Liga side subject to passing a medical.
The 24-year-old only joined Newcastle United in January as he left Spurs in search of first team football and he in turn enjoyed a great start to his career at St James’ Park.
Townsend was even included in after impressing in the second part of the season, as he managed 4 goals and 2 assists in 13 Premier League outings.
However, an …
Newcastle United are ready to offer captain Jamaal Lascelles a new long term contract, according to the Telegraph.
The England U21 international is set to be rewarded for his fine start to the season which culminated in his match-winning performance last time out, where he cleared a chance off the line before netting the only goal of the game against Swansea City.
That was his seventy-second appearance for the North East side, and sixth goal since signing from Nottingham Forest in the summer of 2015.
He was named as skipper for the 2016/17 season where he captained his side to glory in the Championship, pipping Brighton and Hove Albion to the title.
He has represented England at every level from U18s to U21s, making two appearances for the latter but…
Everton midfielder Darron Gibson thanked the club for supporting him through a tough few years after signing a two-year contract extension.
The Republic of Ireland international, who joined Everton from Manchester United in January 2012, has struggled with injuries and poor form, making just 17 Premier League appearances in his last three seasons.
The 28-year-old was rumoured to be seeking a loan move last term and admitted he had offers from other clubs, but is relieved to be staying at Goodison Park.
I am absolutely delighted, he told evertontv. I had a few options but as long as Everton were giving me the option I was never going anywhere else.
People say, Once Everton has touched you, and it is true. It is a great club, there are great people here…
David Luiz has been in talks with Chelsea over signing a new deal at Stamford Bridge, Maurizio Sarri confirmed.
The 32-year-old centre-back is out of contract at the end of the season and no extension has yet been agreed with the Premier League club.
David Luiz is in his second spell with the Blues, having returned from Paris Saint-Germain in 2016, and has played 34 times in the league this season.
And Chelsea are making moves to ensure the Brazil international does not depart on a free at the end of the season, according to Sarri.
I don t know on David Luiz [staying], Sarri told reporters after Chelsea s 1-1 Europa League semi-final first-leg draw at Eintracht Frankfurt.
What. A. Goal. v Basel, semi-final. Six years ago today!
— Che…
AC Milan are not giving up on Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. According to Calciomercato, Rosonerri will make another attempt to sign the Serbian midfielder. The Lazio star has been often linked with numerous European clubs, but in the past six months, it was Milan who were most often mentioned in the talk.
Manchester United seem to be out of equation, which would make things easier for Milan. The stories regarding towering midfielder have cooled down recently, due to Milinkovic-Savic s poorer performances, but the 24-year old is still highly regarding at San Siro. Milan are in need of strengthening their midfield, especially if they end up in top four of Serie A and qualify for Champions League next season.
In those circumstances, Milan would definitely want to make …